Re: Fwd: Free web-to-phone delivery of ransom notes

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 20:41:46 PDT

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Lucky Green wrote:

> A new ransom note delivery system has been made available for general use.
> After posting the ransom note together with the recipients phone number
> into a web form using an HTTP anonymizer, you can schedule future delivery
> of the note to the target. At the set time, IMBOT's system will call the
> target and read the note via voice synthesizer. Neat.

"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good
is dumb." -- Spaceballs

You can always tell the coders that never had their black-hat days. See
no evil, hear no evil, get eatten alive by evil. I see no information on
the registration page with any kind of security, not that any other site
does much better.

I rather pride myself on my days of cracking code, disabling dongles,
blowing buffers and the like. There is no other way to learn how things
can be abused then to rip them apart. Everything has to be designed and
tested with real evil in mind, not just the script kiddies. Self-tests
have to be written, auditing has to be done. It takes longer, but in the
end the enterprise wants stuff that works and isn't going to send their
passwords to Syria (or worse, the US).

On poking around a bit, maybe they have an even better scam going - to
block the service you have to enter your name/addr/email/phone into a
page [http://www.imbot.com/phoneservice/blockphone/]. Real info this
time, not the random stuff on registration. Wonder where _that_ info
goes. After the first few serious abusers that page should get very
popular. Hmmm... wonder if anyone signed up warez/warez yet.

Like I couldn't get enough email already, now it's gonna call me. Ugg.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/