RE: Bar-coding the Real World with URLs

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 16:21:45 PDT

Excellent, just what I was after -- well, the hardware side of it
anyway. Would rather hack the software together myself. Pricing etc not
yet available -- hope the hardware's available separately (or from
another supplier).

This fits very well with a freeform Lifestreams-y approach to
metadata for managing the daily infospew. When stuff happens, slap a
unique ID and datestamp on electronic entities and a little sticky label
on physical entities. If I were a printer/photocopier company I'd be
wondering how to attach these little label thingies to dead tree output
at source... Right now my printouts often have semi-useful
"http://etc" captions in the top right. Much nicer to have a magic label
that keys it into a my database of things I know I've printed, so I could set
about useful tasks like finding the most recent copy of the XLink spec
I've got lying around... (rather than re-printing it for the nth time)

Getting a bit idealistic maybe... If anyone finds somewhere to buy the
basic hardware from, do let us know.

--danbri