RE: Bar-coding the Real World with URLs

From: jeremie kass (jeremie@monkey.org)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 15:57:15 PDT

check out http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.02/mustread.html?pg=4
These folks (http://www.thax.de/english) are doing it with little RFID
tags.

A German software firm has come up with a paradoxically high tech
solution to the decidedly low tech problem of organizing all that
solution to the decidedly low tech problem of organizing all that
paper. Findentity, a system produced by Berlin-based Thax Software
(www.thax.de/english/), lets office workers track and locate any
letter, file, or photo in the office. It works like this: Every piece of
paper to be tracked is "marked" with a transponder, a
postage-stamp-sized sticker embedded with a chip that can store and
send a 32-bit identification number. Users then install a local
positioning net, a series of antennas strategically placed in doorways
and underneath desks. When a file goes AWOL, the antennas home in
on the missing document's transponder. The signal bounces back to a
PC, where the software calls up a map of the office and points to the
file with a flashing arrow. An optional ceiling-mounted laser beam
can even spotlight the missing file. Businesses with multiple branch
can track files by using Findentity in conjunction with the Net.