RE: Bar-coding the Real World with URLs

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 15:07:29 PDT

Dan Brickley writes:

> So I'm after something with cheap, unubtrusive little labels (like
> shops/libraries use to stop you stealing stuff) that are uniquely IDs
> and whose exact location can be detected by some cheap, unobtrusive
> little box I can hook into a PC. It'd need to be suitable for attaching
> little ID/labels to all the printouts, photocopies etc I've lying
> around, in filing cabinets etc.
>
> Someone please tell me this is feasible...

Nihil nova. Been there. This exact technology (plus some very
interesting extras) called localizers is also described en detail in
Vernor Vinge's A Deepness In The Sky, a work of science
fiction. Essentially, these gadgets create a 3d meshwork of mutual TOF
triangulation, using digital pulse radio.

If you could make EM-pulse pumpable fully integrated (spherical Si?)
gadgets like http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/nov99/0555.html
and fabricate them for few bucks a piece, or less, you're in business.
Otherwise, the problem will be, as so often, juice.