RE: Bar-coding the Real World with URLs

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 11:42:46 PDT

One of the major impacts this technology could have is allowing every single
item to have its own barcoded URL. In fact, I think it would be neat if
every single item we bought, over a certain size, had a URL that pointed to:

* a desrciption of what the object does
* specifications of the object
* any consumer recalls of the object
* safety information on the object
* how to repair the object (or how to locate someone who will repair it)
* how to recycle the object
* how to safely dispose of the object
* description of how to locate a secondary market where the item could be
sold

In fact, I would be in favor of legislation that made providing and
maintaining this information mandatory for every object over $5 (or some
other very small number).

- Jim