Re: napster

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 16:00:42 PDT

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Greg Bolcer wrote:

> As to Sony, this is the product they should be selling. A cassette tape
> product with a Sony Memory stick that lets you play MP3s on almost
> all existing players and car stereos.

Only one problem, the Sony memory stick are propriety and expensive. So
far no standard has emerged (contain your shock please) for memory
sticks. We're still very early in the StickWars, with many players, none
of them playing well with others.

Unlike the VHS/Beta war, where the consumer can just get stuck with the
inferior technology, bits are bits, so I expect the StickWars will be
long and painful. The last thing anyone wants is generic cheap sticks
that work in everything. See also: give away the razor, sell the blades
at 1,000x cost - remember that flash burns out after so many writes.

It's not till the end of Return of the Stick that there is hope for the
consumers and developers, we're not even into The Stickopoly Strikes
Back yet.

P.S. I've seen the cassete MP3 thing, it's out there, but probably only
available in Japan right now.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/