FreeIM.Org

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 16:43:11 PDT

I never realized that _Instant Messages Want To Be Free (TM)_ :

  http://www.freeim.org/

I do like the logo of faceless, naked, yellow "Little AOL Man" running
from that nasty, evil AOL Illuminatus Pyramid.

Smells like a former AOL veep is trying to lay the smack down on AOL for
patently anticompetitive practices in keeping AIM and ICQ closed.

The following reeks of jealousy:

  http://www.freeim.org/prIMer.html

> There are already over 1 billion instant messages sent every day, more
> than 130 million instant messaging users worldwide and more than 3
> million users signing up for instant messaging every month. It is the
> fastest growing application in the history of the Internet with an
> adoption rate greater than that of the browser. IM savvy individuals are
> using some of the most popular IM products such as: America Online's
> AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and ICQ, which combined account for with 120
> million users between products AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and ICQ;
> Tribal Voice with 8 million users of its PowWow-based instant messenger;
> and Microsoft with 5 million users of MSN Messenger Service.
> Additionally, AT&T, Yahoo, Excite, Multimate, NovaWiz, iCAST, and KOZ.com
> are among other instant messaging providers.

[Nevermind that AT&T's IMHere, iCAST, KOZ.com, and AltaVista IM are all