Paul Mockapetris, profile

From: Rohit Khare (rohit@uci.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 22:12:59 PDT

Paul Mockapetris
Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
Urban Media

101 University Ave.
Suite 400
Palo Alto, Calif. 94301
Phone: (650) 330-7434
Fax: (650) 833-5415
Email: pmockapetris@urbanmedia.com
http://www.urbanmedia.com

Job History
Urban Media
SVP & CTO
1999 - Present

Fiberlane/Verent/Siara
CTO
1998 - 1999
Software.com
CTO
1997 - 1998
Director, Engineering
1995 - 1997
Education
MIT
B.S. Physics and Electrical Engineering
1971
University of California, Irvine
PhD Information and Computer Science
1982

Quoted
Who is the most powerful behind-the-scenes person in the Internet
industry today?
Mike O'Dell of UUNET

You are introduced to someone at a cocktail party. Describe what you
do in two or three sentences.
I do two things: as founder, I do whatever is necessary to make my
company succeed, whether that's pitching VCs, sales, marketing, HR,
or installing cables; as CTO, I try and make sure that we use the
right technology both now and in the future. This is important as the
only companies that really are interesting to me are ones in areas
where the technology is undergoing a large change!

What do you wish you had invented?
A directory system for the Internet that wouldn't be controlled by
the politicians, lawyers and bureaucrats.

Tell us the URL of one site (other than your own) that you think is
essential for doing business on the Net, and why.
I like www.invisible.net - it lets me do full text searches of Edgar data.

Who's your hero?
Bob Kahn, Marshall Rose and a bunch of other folks whose
contributions to the Internet are understated rather than hyped.

What books are on your business-book must-read list?
Only the Paranoid Survive, High Stakes, No Prisoners: A Winner's Tale
of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars, and Hotel Pastis.