CMGion: if you're not everywhere, you're nowhere.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 17:51:23 PDT

Got the following from:
  http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1080158008029000

Let me get this straight. CMGi sold 12% of CMGion to Novell, Sun, and
Compaq for $60 million, and "others want in". They kept 78% for CMGi
and are giving the employees a measly 10%. Astounding greed.

CMGion will be getting revenues from several CMGi companies. CMGion
version one *is* NaviSite, a CMGi spinoff.

You gotta read the "practical example". Worldwide capture of consumer
behavior, indeed.

> per "mcmulty" off cmginvestor
> http://www.cmginvestor.com/
>
> Never before have users demanded so much refinement from a technology
> base that is commercially only five years old.
>
> Thus David Wetherell underscored the potential of CMGion, the global
> content distribution network.
>
> Makes me glad they started working on it fourteen months ago.
>
> "ion" - Internet Operating Network - is cute wordplay. In particle
> physics, an ion is an atom that carries a non-neutral electric charge,
> positive or negative, because it has lost or gained one or more
> electrons. Because it is missing something or has something to offer, an
> ion seeks to attach itself to what it needs to stabilize, i.e., to
> become complete.
>
> The CMGion development team included advanced systems architects from
> AOL, Microsoft, Phoenix, Novell and Sun Microsystems. Novell, Compaq and
> Sun are investing $20 million each for a combined 12% ownership stake
> which values the company at $500 million.
>
> NaviSite's existing data centers comprise CMGion version 1. From that
> the network will expand, by the end of this year, with the involvement
> of co-location facilities provider Level 3 Communications, to 36 to 60
> connected data centers located around the world.
>
> NaviSite, interestingly, will provide its ASP services over the network
> and will therefore be a CMGion customer. AdForce and Activate will also
> be early customers.
>
> CMGion is based on the service model; i.e., collect fees from customers
> for using its network. The company will also license some of its
> software.
>
> Imagine you're a member of the crew of the USS Enterprise and you're on
> an away mission to the surface of the planet Alderaan (before the Death
> Star blew it up) and you have one of those nifty communications devices
> pinned to your uniform. Doesn't matter where you are. Tap that gizmo and
> you're in instant verbal contact with a galaxy class starship.
>
> CMGion will bring us a step closer to that level and quality of
> communications. The network will employ an "open architecture" operating
> system that will be "platform aware" and location- and
> device-independent. In other words, the network will deliver content to
> any Internet-connected device or appliance.
>
> Sun and Compaq will supply the servers, Novell the operating system
> software.
>
> Engage software will be married to the OS. It will be the key to
> providing hyper-efficient content and services delivery. As stated in
> the press release: "The ability to conduct network-level profiling
> offers unparalleled insight into network design, user interests,
> time-of-day network activity and media measurement information that can
> dramatically impact network design, efficiency and cost factors."
>
> Basically, Engage will profile at the user level and at the network
> level, which will support, among other things, regional differentiation
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

Create something small, fast, and easy to reuse, and everyone will hate you for it. -- Adam Beberg