Postscript HTTP server

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 17:03:56 PDT

This wins my "twisted hack of the day" award: an HTTP server implemented in
Postscript.
Quoting from the Web site:

"How?

Well, first I must admit that PS-HTTPD needs to be run from inetd. The
reason is simply that Postscript doesn't have any ways to handle
TCP/IP-sockets, but it has the ability to read files (including stdin). This
means that the speed of the server never will be very thrilling, but that
wasn't the goal in the first place.

When accessed inetd runs ghostscript which in turn runs the PS-HTTPD-code.
PS-HTTPD reads the GET-line from the client and extracts the wanted file
which is read and sent back to the user. The server currently implements
only the small needed parts of the HTTP-protocol. This will change in the
future."

More details here:

http://www.pugo.org:8080/

Never underestimate the power of a turing machine.

- Jim