Re: [Standard] Can't Stop the Startup Funding

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 21:16:49 PDT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Adam Rifkin -4K wrote:

> > There are only so many people with the technical talents to start the
> > next wave of Internet infrastructure companies. The firms that can't
> > land these deals will be in trouble. And those with huge piles of cash
> > may feel some pressure to use it anyway.
>
> Over three billion in new VC funds *just* *this* *week*. There go your
> pension funds, your 401k's, and your IRAs...

Yea, they go.. right down the drain.

> > while AmericasDoctor.com got $34 million.

From their web page: "The system detected an Unresolved Host Name while
attempting to retrieve the URL: http://americasdoctor.com/" ... Maybe
that's why they needed money - for someone with a web.clue? 34M is whole
bunch of banner ads to sell.

Isn't DrKoop.com already in intensive care?

VC's aren't chasing anything new, and won't even look at you funny
unless you have direct referals from another VC or two. They don't want
new, they want the next copycat .com deal, even though it's basicly a
sure bet that any copy will be stillborn. I think the fundamental
problem is that the VCs don't actually understand the, or they would be
investing in new technologies, not copycats.

Ya gotta wonder when these VCs will get sick of failing. I'll be here
waiting with my piles of press, products, partners, and proven track
record when they do. Along will all the other unfunded people with those
things. But I'm not holding my breath becasue they dont want to see
those things. If anyone can figure out what they do want to see, please
let me know. Maybe a plan for a site with medical information... hmmm...

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/