ip rent-seeking

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 12:50:19 PDT

> ... ''You will
> see from our history that we're very aggressive in defending our
> patents,''

> (And keep its fingers crossed that the
> dozens of patents it's applied for yield a patent portfolio stronger
[ than its competitors) ]

Does this sort of behavior strike anyone else as being close to
classical rent-seeking?

Instead of investing resources in relationships with the customers
that make up a market, these firms appear to be investing resources
in obtaining and retaining government-provided monopolies.

-Dave

If I get such property rights, it's "encouraging entrepreneurship"
If you get them, it's "receiving rents"
If he gets them, it's "crony capitalism"