[Standard] idealab files for IPO

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 19:43:40 PDT

Big shocker on Idealab's S-1: Jack Welch is on their Board of Directors.
Dammmmmmm...
  http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,14360,00.html

Man, Bill Gross will be worth $12 billion after this IPO if ILAB hits
30. That is, by any definition of the word, ludicrous.

Look at the list of "companies" at the end of this post. Maybe one
useful company out of the bunch (PayMyBills), the rest of it crap that
fleeces the poor individual investor (How many individuals lost money
"investing" in eToys? It's just so wrong...)

Unrelated bonus question for anyone who follows the equity markets: AT&T
is spinning off AT&T Wireless (ticker symbol: AWE, I kid you not) next
week in the biggest IPO ever ($11 billion to be raised, which makes
360Networks' junk-bond-n-stock float of $1.4 billion this week seem like
pennies). Can anyone tell me what differentiates AWE from the wireless
company AT&T *bought* in 1994?

> Idealab Files for IPO, With Jack Welch on Board
> April 20, 2000, 05:32 PM PST
>
> The VC firm says GE's chairman and CEO has served as a company director
> since March.
>
> By Kevin Kelleher and Jim Evans
>
> Idealab, the Pasadena, Calif.-based venture capital firm founded
> by Bill Gross, filed for its initial public offering Thursday afternoon.
>
> Many expected the move -- but there was a surprise on the board of
> directors: General Electric (GE) Chairman and CEO Jack Welch.
> Idealab plans to raise $300 million in the initial public offering and
> it would use the proceeds to finance and operate more businesses and for
> general corporate purposes, according to a filing with the Securities
> and Exchange Commission. The company will use the ticker ILAB. Goldman
> Sachs, Donaldson (DLJ) Lufkin & Jenrette, Merrill Lynch (MER) ,
> Robertson Stephens and Thomas Weisel Partners will be the underwriters
> of the deal.
>
> The prospectus says Welch has served as a director of Idealab since
> March 2000. Since 1981, he has held the role of chairman and chief
> executive officer of GE, becoming one of the most respected chief
> executives in the world.
>
> According to the filing, CEO Bill Gross' stake in Idealab before an IPO
> is 41.58 percent, or 390,140,900 shares, which seemingly assures him
> instant billionaire status the day Idealab hits the market. The cash
> will come in handy because Gross has taken out about $30 million in
> loans from the company in the past year, according to the filing.
>
> Also, Idealab revealed that it is taking steps to avoid scrutiny under
> the Investment Act of 1940, which "requires registration for companies
> that are engaged primarily in the business of investing, reinvesting,
> owning, holding or trading in securities." Usually, mutual funds are
> classified in this category, but the jump in Net valuations and the fact
> that businesses that invest in Net companies are now going public has
> made this a problem for a few firms. Both Internet Capital Group and
> CMGI have had to wrestle with the SEC over this issue, as well.
>
> In the SEC's eyes, a company is an investment company if it owns
> securities with a value exceeding 40 percent of the value of its total
> assets. A company like Idealab is safe from the Investment Act if it
> owns more than 50 percent of the company in question. Technically, it is
> then the controlling shareholder.
>
> In its S-1, Idealab states that as of Jan. 28, 2000, more than 40
> percent of the value of its assets were securities issued by companies
> that are not majority-owned subsidiaries. The firm filed an application
> with SEC requesting a permanent order declaring that it is in a business
> other than that of investing, reinvesting, owning, holding or trading in
> securities. On March 28, the SEC granted a temporary order that exempts
> Idealab from all provisions of the Investment Act for a 120-day period
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

No one can say we don't do windows. -- Rohit Khare