The Civilization of Illiteracy

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 09:21:18 PDT

The Civilization of Illiteracy (Dresden University Press, 1997)

I just spoted this book as a recent entry in the Project Guttenberg
(http://www.gutenberg.net/news.html) archives. The author, Prof Mihai
Nadin, contributed the 1997 work to PG .

I have it DLd and ready to be converted to a pdb. Has any one already read
this work, and if so what where your impressions.

<diversion> Im glad I got the IIIxe, I got two books in there im currently
reading (S K Robinsons Red Mars and T Jeffersons Autobiography) and two
more waiting in ram (Neal Stepehensons Big U and a PDF converted XML book
)</diversion>

The Eco penned blurb for this book is interesting ...

"This is not one among the usual lamentations about the decline of
literacy. As the author spells out from the beginning, to write several
hundred pages that leave out those who are the very subject of concern
would be preposterous. To praise literacy for the literate ones
(encouraging their contempt of the illiterate) would be snobbish. This
book (which speaks of sex, food, goods, God, supermarkets, computers,
sport, tv, virtual reality, philosophy, science - and also of writing and
books) does not only deal with the Dark Side of the Gutenberg Galaxy; it
mainly speaks to those who believe in living on the luminous one. It is
not for THEM, it is not only about THEM, it is also for and about US. And
we (the literate ones) will discover many things that we did not know (as
yet, or enough, in spite of our Wisdom)." - Umberto Eco

    [---===tomwhore@ []wsmf.org []inetarena.com []slack.net===---]
                   WSMF's web site ----http://wsmf.org