RE: Happy one-month anniversary, Gnutella.

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 02:58:34 PDT

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> Don't rant, just do it better, and release it earlier than the other
> guys so it has a chance (perfect designs existing as mental models
> solely do not exist if the market is concerned). If you can't, then
> there might be a reason why weenies are more successful than
> gurus. Kinda reminds me of the Lisp vs. C argument.

I have better, and it will get dropped in as soon as the thing it gets
dropped into is done. Unfortunately doing it right takes time, money,
and an infrastructure for serious (i.e. non-pirate) uses. Both napster
and gnutella are pet project piracy tools, not serious attempts at
distributed filesystems. But they could at least read one paragraph
about the subject before starting. Freenet is so obsessed with anonymous
use so they can break the law that they ended up with junk. They do very
well for what they were intended, promoting piracy and making it
point&click. Fear not, the correct solution usually wins in the end, and
will win this one.

I spent a year and a half as a sound engineer for live bands big and
small, none of those people are raking in money (nor are the sound
engineers and other support crew). The small bands just get by and
usually have day jobs, and the famous ones get raped by the record
labels and TicketScalpMaster. The artists ARE pissed about things like
napster, they need what little they do get out of a $20 CD. Someone is
going to come along and work WITH the artists, cut the 5+ middlemen out,
and kick everybody's butt.

The MP3/piracy tech is crap, and the users are thieves. OK, so I have
issues with this issue, not everyone has worked with musicians like I
have :)

And I don't think anyone would call Lisp an efficient general purpose
programming language, so lets not go there. I'm going to bed instead.

- Adam L. Beberg
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/