Re: OC circa 1921

Steve Dossick (sdossick@cs.columbia.edu)
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 14:42:22 -0400

At 11:27 AM 6/2/99 -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>My friend who owns the Summer house in Mexico that Rohit's
>trying to get me to take him down to for a wild and drunken
>weekend of offroading, surfing, and board games--his grandfather
>was one of the original workers who dredged the back bay.
>They offered Balboa penninsula to him for $15k. His response
>was, what am I going to do with a big sand bar? They mulled it
>over as they thought they could charge people to park and picnic
>there. The turned it down. It's now worth $15k per square foot.
>
>I would argue that it's hard to make a parallel. The best guess
>is Boulder, Colorado or Coeur d' Alene, Idaho.
>
>Greg

Having spent way too much time in Coeur d'Alene ID (my fiancee grew up
there, I've spent every xmas break there for the last 4 years), I have to
agree...it's fast becoming part of an urban sprawl starting at Spokane Wa,
crossing the Idaho border into Post Falls, and continuing into CDA. The
lack of local research universities in eastern wa/northwestern idaho is
what's stopping it from getting past its farming/mining/manufacturing roots.

Hell, DSL access is available there, and 5 bedroom houses go for $250k.
Maybe you should move your startup there, Greg :)

-s