Re: Sun keeps Java proprietary...

Steve Nordquist (signa@tfs.net)
Sat, 01 May 1999 22:08:22 -0500

Jim Whitehead wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/19413.html
> it is revealed that Sun has decided not to bring Java to ISO for
> standardization.
>
> According to the article,
>
> Sun has quibbled with the ISO throughout the application process, arguing
> that Sun should retain control of the technology.

Why, when the IEEE has streamlined whining?

> I wonder how long it will take the developer community to realize that Java
> is Yet Another Proprietary Platform for Computing(TM).

Java footprint: .3MB to 7MB, some IP addresses
Oracle footprint: .3 to 800MB, some IP routers
CA footprint: May involve Windows.
Software AG footprint: 3GB to 100GB, flamethrower for testing I/O subsystem
REQUIRED
3-tier implies monolithic? Who's going around saying that now?

http://xing.com/midmarket.html#anchor1261534 [ObGack: 1996 bits]
Gartner Group

"By 1999, the fastest growing forms of middleware will be the OTMs and the
message brokers." "DBMSs and ORBs will not be the dominating middleware for new
enterprise applications in the post-1999 world because of their inability to
support distributed transactions." "By 2001, 75% of all new business systems
will be built using modules of medium granularity. Both monolithic three tier
and the fine-grained object oriented partitioning will be rare."

Meta Group
"The messaging market will continue to grow dynamically (100% per year) during
the next three years. IT application successes … will drive increased adoption
rates and product demand for messaging software infrastructures."

Search Analysis Research notes, Gartner Group, November 1996.
"Middlevation: Milieu 2000", Meta Group Open Computing and Server Strategies,
1996