Re: Apple jobs to Open Source dweebs

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:16:43 -0400 (EDT)

Tim Byars wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/19233.html
>
> Adoption of Apple's open-source software may
> take off now that the company has revised its
> public license, programmers say.

The new license still has two major problems:
- you can't make modifications to the software without publishing them
to the world. Contrary to press reports, none of the standard
free-software licenses (BSD, Artistic, GPL) have this problem.
The early drafts of the NPL and MPL had this problem; it was
fixed before the release.
- Apple can tell you to stop using the software any time it likes if
someone sues it for patent infringement, even if the patent
does not legally apply to you, and even if you've spent ten
years building your business on the software. This negates one
of the major strong points of free software. Indeed, this
license gives less freedom than Microsoft's standard EULA.

I don't think I'll be using MacOS X Server. I might have if they
hadn't hyped it as "open source".

I also think this is the breaking point; it is clear that OSI means
something different by "Open Source" than the rest of us mean by "free
software".

What we *need* is for some advanced off-world sentience to carpet nuke planet
Earth from high orbit.  Call it Equal Opportunity Ethnic Cleansing.  I mean,
racism is so petty.  Why play favorites?  -- RageBoy