Fwd: Another Kosovo quote

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:52:38 -0400 (EDT)

Grlygrl201@aol.com writes:
> His point being, I'm sure, that our moral outrage is very focused
> according to political expediency. Why, wasn't it just a few short
> years ago we turned a blind eye to the massacre of elderly Serbs
> who refused to leave their homes?

In the Krajina, where the (IIRC --- and I'm sure I'll hear about it if
I don't) Serbs had been chasing out Croat residents a few years
previous (remember Vukovar?). Still, this has come back to haunt us
in a couple of ways. On a superficial level, it's given the Milosevic
regime a persuasive internal propaganda point; on a deeper level, I've
seen speculation that one of the reasons that Milosevic is so
desperate to run the Albanians out of Kosovo is to give him a place to
put the Krajina refugees.

On the other hand, while the Croats may have gotten a free pass in
Krajina, the Serbs have gotten free passes on numerous occasions,
particularly, until very recently, in his handling of Kosovo, which
was completely left off the table in Dayton. The lack of Western
support for nonviolent Kosovar resistance at Dayton was a key factor
in turning the KLA from a joke into a menace.

rst