Re: [Salon/Lingua Franca] Applying a PhD to Business

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@ICS.uci.edu)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:34:25 -0800

Rohit Khare wrote:

> You read the Wall Street Journal so that you can converse
> and critique the Wall Street Journal. This gives you a common
> vocabulary when you return to your work.

In the business world you are forced to use a common
vocabulary, in academics you get to make words up.

> While academics may scoff, the business world is the thinker's Mount
> Everest. The business world offers one of the most intense and most
> dynamic continuous learning environments available. It is also the
> hub, the epicenter, of change, where new developments in physics,
> computer programming, mathematics, law, animation, music and
> manufacturing all converge. The business world is also a place where
> the dialectic of idealism and materialism is on prominent, constant
> display. It can be a ruthless, inhumane environment. Because of the
> fast pace and intense pressure to satisfy customers, people often
> rush through decisions before they can look at other options or
> reflect on the potential consequences of their actions. The business
> world obviously needs more good thinkers.

I thought Washington DC thought they were the thinker's
Mount Everest.

Interesting premise/article. An opposing view is offered in one
of my all time favorite Wired articles: Schooled for Success. It
lays the smack down about who is *really* the center of the world when
it comes to business innovation.[1] 8-)

Greg

[1] http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/2346.html