Re: Water bottles increase sales at United?

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@rpcp.mit.edu)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:21:15 -0400

At 01:57 AM 4/28/98 -0700, Rohit Khare wrote:
>The main psychic lesson is the feeling of control: with a sport bottle,
>passengers are back in control of their water supply, not at the mercy
>of open glasses which must be consumed or lost (who can leave the tray
>table down in coach? who will risk turbulence?). Very subtle, and very
>powerful.

Water has always been an extremely important issue. There are a whole number
of religious, spiritual, and political issues involved. Control over water
rights and flow is a critical issue to many US states, as well as countries
elsewhere.

Jim Miller once passed on an observation at a diplomatic meeting we were
attending that there were 3 bottles of water next to every flag: Swiss,
German, and Fench. (I think). Hopefully, whatever delegation you were from,
you'd be mollified. The neutral water tasted pretty good to me.

Regards, http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/home.html
Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
reagle@mit.edu independent research account