Re: For the record: 90% of Iridium now up...

Lloyd Wood (L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:25:59 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Robert Harley wrote:

> Rohit quotes:
> >Iridium is a registered trademark and service mark of Iridium LLC.

The registered Iridium trademark graphic was a circular earth with
vague ellipses with blobs on them supposedly representing orbital
planes and satellites, behind 'IRIDIUM' in capitals and surrounded by
a bounding box.

That box wasn't really part of the design. It got added while doing
graphics conversion between Windows and Mac for the trademark bureau,
and then they got stuck with having to use the box to have a protected
registered logo. Or so the story goes; the various dated bits of
paperwork I have from Iridium certainly seem to bear this out.

These days, they're using the Big Dipper/Ursa Major/the Plough; one
star per letter is the only obvious '7' connection.

> That's odd, I could have sworn it was the name of a transition metal.
>
> Can I register "iron" please? How about "gold" and "platinum" too?

How registered "platinum" is and whether Apple has a design patent
(bizarre US-only concept) on their platinum interface and other Mac
interface variants is a subject of a great deal of interest to people
fiddling with the Mac interface:

http://home.san.rr.com/deans/index.html

I find the recent design fashion for 'platinum is better than gold, so
your platinum credit card is of higher value than your gold card,
which is of higher value than the silver credit card we first gave you
ten years ago, even though it looks just like silver' to be a trifle
odd.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641