Re: Emailing Vikram Chandra, author

Lloyd Wood (L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:08:26 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Rohit Khare wrote:

> Chandra is willing to find out. From another message:
>
> I think the new technology can have the effect of short-circuiting
> the distances that we've come to accept in the recent past as
> immutable and natural. I'm a storyteller; I don't very much like
> the idea of myself as the distant "author," a creature of the
> Romantic imagination and in some ways peculiar to the newly
> industrializing West. So if the current technology lets me get
> around the huge institutional structures of publishers, reviewers,
> big media, and speak more directly to the listeners, I take the
> chance ...
>
> I'm sure that there are writers who don't want any such feedback,
> who would react with horror to the thought of actually
> communicating with the great crowd out there.

William Gibson is on record as saying as much; that's why he doesn't
have some email address. Some irony, surely, given his chosen oeuvre.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=000111464113065&pg=/et/96/9/28/bogibs28.html

"There's no woman there at all. It's like Milli Vanilli squared."

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641