Help us create a perfect Usenet (fwd)

Michael Stutz (stutz@dsl.org)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:21:52 -0400 (EDT)

Saw one of these spams while reading netnews yesterday, and now this just
popped in my inbox - addressed to "reference.com subscriber." This Talkway
thing is interesting, in that they're a read-Usenet-from-the-Web service and
they're advertising it by _spamming_ Usenet... and now, by purporting to be
from the CEO of reference.com...

I tried the piece of shit and the non-Java version didn't even work...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 22:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: qxl@reference.com
Subject: Help us create a perfect Usenet

Dear Reference.COM Subscriber:

Thank you for your continuing support of Reference.COM. I recently discovered
a Usenet service that greatly complements what you've been using at
Reference.COM, and it's also free. I thought you'd be interested in this
service from Talkway, so I've attached more information below.

Again, thank you for using Reference.COM,

-Jack Zoken
CEO, Sift, Inc. (developer of Reference.COM)

-------------------------------

For the biggest and best online community out there, Usenet has features that
still keep us in the dark ages. You know ... spam, the naming system, limited
search capabilities, etc.

We decided to bring Usenet into the new millennium by developing this great
graphic interface that's light years ahead and nearly ready to fly. But we'd
like input from the people who know best... you! So
here's an open invitation to check out our beta version at
http://www.talkway.com/preview/ and play around.

You'll find:
1. A friendly graphic interface with advanced filtering capabilities.
2. An NNTP feed accessible from the web!
3. A bookmarking system that's easier than subscribing to discussion groups.
4. An "at-a-glance" navigation tool that lets you access all topics, subtopics
and discussion groups, and...
5. A totally awesome search system. Imagine viewing all the groups you're
looking for with no repeat listings, all on one page!

But the best news is the cost. It's FREE (and will remain free even after it's
launched!)

Click into http://www.talkway.com/preview/ . Register, or not. Test it. And
enjoy. Then let us know what you think.

Thank you for your feedback!