Re: Let Me Get This Straight . . .

From: Grlygrl201@aol.com
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 13:12:08 PDT

In a message dated 5/12/01 1:23:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mattj@newsblip.com writes:

<< On Sat, 12 May 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Is it a coincidence that the Republican's best and brightest all sound
> stupid or at least ignorant of the full reality of current US life?
> (Reagan, Bush Sr. (scanners anyone?), Bush Jr., Quayle (can't even spell
> Quail ;-)), Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh)

 I agree with much in your post, but I'd like to suggest that Newt Gingrich
 is smart (although not as smart as, say, Clinton). Gingrich understands
 quite a bit of reality, but he also knows how to spin a persuasive
 argument. He's a sophist, in the derogatory sense.

let's add most if not all of the Fox News team to the group who can't grasp
real world social complexities. ever watch the o'reilley factor? bill
o'reilley experiences this honest-(the honest part is scary)to-goodness shock
over the failings failings of public figures - democrat figures, in
particular - as if their actions are an affront to him personally. that's so
irritatingly self-righteous. he's too simple to be an adult and much too
naive to be a journalist. it's like there's this whole crop of limbaugh-fed
disenfranchised adult (poor white) guys who are getting their very first dose
of american government/civics lessons, highschool level. What were they
doing 20 years ago?

taking their cue from limbaugh, fox network frames the fact that democrats
garner the minority and women vote as some sort of insult, as if we comprise
a block of undesirable (and somehow more feeble) voters. republicans market
themselves as the party of the wealthy and successful, so poor, white,
rectangle-state guys (see which states voted bush) can butch up and pretend
they're part of a winning team. suckers.

hoping cheney won't conserve anything, especially his strength,
gg