Re: [ reactions ] Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: kragen@pobox.com
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 23:49:23 PDT

"Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com> writes:
> I don't understand much of what you say. If open source is the superior way
> to go then it will win in the market. I don't think Mundie said anything
> that would contradict that.

If open source weren't the superior way to go, Mundie would be talking
about its disadvantages to users. Microsoft tried that for a couple
of years. It didn't work very well; the users knew better.

There are a couple of ways to win. One way is in the market. Another
way is by extramarket means: legislation, for example.

> I decided to simply take it at face value, and decide if I agree or
> disagree. As a commercial developer, I agree. I've said the same thing many
> times, but somehow it didn't make the Gray Lady. As recently as last year
> people gave me puzzled looks when I said I made software. "What's the
> business model?" they asked. "We sell licenses." As if that were some kind
> of new twist.

I hadn't heard you say you thought open source was a threat to
intellectual property.

> Here's the deal, we've been inundated by carpetbaggers. Even some people who
> should have known better became carpetbaggers. Leaving the rest of us with a
> mess to clean up.

Who are the carpetbaggers you refer to, and what did they do?