Comparison of online storage systems

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 10:33:29 PDT

A company called TeamStream <http://www.teamstream.com/> has a very nice
table comparing online storage systems (things like My Docs Online
<http://www.mydocsonline.com/>, Sharemation <http://www.sharemation.com/>,
etc.) at:

http://www.teamstream.com/oss/compfilestor.htm

It's interesting to see how the company names emphasize different qualities
of an online storage system:

@Backup, backup my files, IBackup, FreeBack: making off-site backups of data
e-ttach: email attachment replacement
e24/7: reliability, availability
Swap Drive: exchanging files
FreeDrive, iDrive, NetFloppy: online disk drive
My Docs Online, My Free Desk: document management

This highlights the interpretive flexibility of an Internet-accessible
information storage depot. All of the above views of these systems are
correct. When you're trying to market such a system, which of these messages
do you pick as "the one" message to convey? This is a problem I've run
across with WebDAV as well.

- Jim