RE: Life, Games, and Survivor (was Re: It's IBM dummy)

From: Mark Day (markday@cisco.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 07:55:58 PDT

> In the "entrepreneur" game, it's not clear who you're really
> playing against or
> whether it's zero or nonzero, but the goal --- regardless of the
> parameters ---
> is "winning." Winning defined as ROI. And the decisions one has
> to make in
> order to win are often very much opposed to your own prejudices, opinions,
> principles, etc. You try to play the game as straight and
> ethically as it can
> be played, but at the end of the day you either play to win or you lose.

This is all fine as far as it goes. I suspect the challenge is whether the
focus on winning the "entrepreneur" game, as defined above, winds up causing
you to lose at one or more of the other games that you are simultaneously
playing. Especially if events in your life cause a shift in the value you
place on one game vs. another.

Of course, another thing that's interesting about entrepreneurial
personalities is that they usually recast even their losses or imminent
losses as wins in some other, more important game. ;-)

--Mark