RE: It's IBM dummy

From: Eugene Leitl (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 08:48:33 PDT

On Tue, 8 May 2001, David Stutz wrote:

> I'm just a doddering old fool to think that the local OS matters at all,

Of course a local OS matters. If my desktop box has a 1 k CPUs,
they can't be fat CPUs, nor can they have large memory grains. So the
amount of shared code present in each node better be minimal.
I can't afford to replicate the bloat all over the place.

So, some OSses can go places other OSses can't.

[eleitl@pc27 DSPsrc]$ ls -l /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 665029 Oct 5 2000 /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk

Excuse me while I bust an aneurism laughing. How is that bloated thing
supposed to scale to a 1 MBit grain architecture?