Re: It's IBM dummy

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 23:24:25 PDT

Dave Winer wrote:

> > Why do people talk about OS like it's a political party?
>
> It's a stupid way to think.

Hate to be a cynic... but:

Agreed, stipulated: thinking about OSes like political parties is stupid.
...most Americans who vote regularly vote along (mostly) party lines...

Draw your own conclusions.

> Think about Mac OS X a bit. The religious issues fall aside, and think about
> bridges between the two worlds.

Not meaning to reincarnate a particularly narsty drunken convo from Retreat '97,
Dave, but unfortunately the situation is exactly what you identified above: OS
choices are political votes --- generally made by PACs, i.e. fear-motivated IT
managers. :-/ Neither situation (politics / religion) is good, but which is
worse? I dunno...

> In a way it's as if the Yankees had become a National League team.

"If the world was only slightly different..."

;-)

> Hardly makes any sense, but here we are.

Makes no sense, but yep. "No matter where you go, there you are."

:-)

jb