RE: [ reactions ] Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: Jeff Barr (jeff@vertexdev.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 15:16:18 PDT

Steve says,

> I also programmed a bit on a IBM PC running DOS 1 (no subdirectories,
> 64K memory, just BASIC). The local insurance company, in our little
> town of 11,000, had an IBM 370 and some mini computers and they
> obviously had a very early PC to try it out. I was in a business
> 'explorers' group as a teenager run by a deaf guy who was a programmer
> there. He let me play with it so I could try to write a simple
> accounting program.

I believe that this "let me play with it" factor has gotten lots and lots
of youngsters started in our field. I know that's how I got started in a
little computer store at the ripe age of 15.

Now that we are "in" and the kids aren't, let's do what we can to repay the
favor. I've found that today's teenagers (the ones I associate with anyway)
are well-informed, full of energy, and quite aware of "the big picture." I
drive three 15-year-olds to school every morning, and the discussion topic
for the day is more often than not drawn from the front pages of Kuro5hin
or SlashDot.

Jeff;

Jeff Barr - Vertex Development - (mailto:jeff@vertexdev.com)
  Address: 4610 191st Place NE. Redmond, WA 98074;
  Phone: Office: 425-868-4919 - Home: 425-836-5624
  IM: MSN: jeffscottbarr@hotmail.com; AIM: jeffscottbarr
  Homepage: http://www.vertexdev.com/~jeff
  Resume: http://www.vertexdev.com/~jeff/real_jb_resume.html