Re: Evolution being slow ...

From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 13:02:40 PDT

A bit of Googling yielded:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe/review.html

I think this kind of argument has to be made in symbolic logic, and the
originator seems to be steering quite clear of any such analysis.

It's interesting to me that the stuff cited as irreducible examples is all
quite complex. It seems to me that the argument would work better for things
like autocatalytic sets, that is groups of molecules that in solution with
the proper precursors will tend to assemble more copies of themselves,
something that requires all of the parent molecules, it is in a sense
irreducible, it's just not flashy enough for making sweeping claims.

Autocatalytic sets are about the only real thing I can point to out of
reading Stuart Kaufman's "Investigations."

Eirikur