Re: [ADMIN] I can't hear myself think

From: kragen@pobox.com
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 01:28:20 PDT

ThosStew@aol.com writes:
> >> Does anyone mind if I (attempt to) change FoRK's behaviour so that
> >> you DO get copies of your own posts?
>
> I'd love it too. A couple of months ago there were odd stutters in
> posting--some people's stuff lingered somewhere in the ether for 4-5 weeks
> before showing up, entering the discussion like an out-of-it Rip Van Winkle:

That'll probably happen again; it happened because kragen.dnaco.net
was turned off. It was running a vulnerable version of BIND; I took
it offline when the vulnerability was announced. When I could bring
fit back online weeks later, it posted the mail it had queued weeks
before.

It is not a good idea to depend on a machine you don't have
administrative access to. I've remedied the situation --- but now
it's down with what seems to be a hardware failure. So now I need
physical access to it, or someone competent to replace failed power
supplies and so forth with physical access to it.

I think I'll just mail the machine to California where I can babysit
it.

> Do you think Y2K will be a serious problem?

It's hard to tell --- we'll just have to wait and see.