Re: [ reactions ] Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 07:02:49 PDT

Dave Winer wrote:

> Strata you ignorant slut.. ;->
>
> I tilt at Windows, not windmills.
>
> It was an interesting day for discourse on the Internet.
>
> Lots of bluster, one precise hit (Linus) and one message of love (Doc
> Searls).

Linus has become quite a statesman. Concise, direct, and clean hit.

> Actually, I don't think open source will win in the market.

Depends on your definition of 'win'.

> The battle is so silly -- open source has been here forever, and will be
> here forever.

So, by many definitions, it can't lose per se since it's survival is
guarunteed. In some areas of the market, i.e. web servers based on
Apache, it's hard to see how it will be overtaken soon.

> And if the experience with Apple is any clue, barring some breakup by the US
> Gov, Microsoft will be here virtually forever too.
>
> Aside from that I want to make software for people who use Microsoft
> platforms. There are too many of them to deprive them of the goodies I
> create.

Of course, but the question is whether it will be a MS only solution or
one based on one or both of: A) open standards usable on and between all
platforms, and B) using layers of more or less open software that allow
simultaneous development for multiple platforms. HTML, XML, Javascript,
Java fall into the former, QT, Java, STL, etc. fall into the latter.

> Whatever. I read a piece about Leibniz, perhaps the Linus of the 1600s, and
> Newton who might have been the Bill Gates.
>
> http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1375.htm
>
> I'll go with the Leibniz philosophy that this is the best of all possible
> worlds.

At this point in time. The future, however, can be imagined to be much
better.

> And don't blame me, Linus brought Newton into it. ;->
>
> I bet a lot of people though he was talking about Apple's PDA.
>
> Dave

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st