RE: Manners

From: John Hall (johnhall@evergo.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 11:52:37 PDT

>> Manners are usaly the last resort of a weak argument.

The normal rules of civility do not protect weak arguments. Indeed, they
encourage conversations of substance. I wasn't referring to that form of
'manners' which says it is bad manners to criticize.

It is the poorly mannered cretin yelling insults when he has nothing
productive to say that is protecting a weak or non-existent argument.

I think we agree on the substance here, just disagree on whether correct
behavior should be termed 'good manners' or 'proper civility'.

In any case, I'm out of here for the weekend.