RE: How do you teach fundamental logic to someone that doesn't gr ok it?

From: Pang, Hokkun (HPang@Yesmail.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 10:00:47 PDT

If you're not too demading of my intellectual adaquacy, then I blame my
inadaquacy on my teachers.
Lets face it, there is nothing new about your lady friend's complaint.
Logic, especially in the symbolic form,
is not easy to learn, otherwise, illiterate programmers like me would have a
tough time making a living.
However, hard to learn doesn't mean typical people don't have a sense of
logic or basic skills in
logical deduction. Your lady friend has only herself to blame for failing to
perform her duties.

On a recent day, I was interviewing CS senior from a top tier school who
claimed to be studying "Theory of Languages"
this semester. So I casually asked him to explain the "Pumping Lemma" to me.
He wisely said his class was about to
cover it the following week so he didn't know it yet. Now that's what I call
a big disappointment.