Re: It's IBM dummy

From: Andy Armstrong (andy@tagish.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 06:36:56 PDT

Dave Winer wrote:

> Danny, you got it in your #2 section. There's going to be a lot of marketing
> to developers in the coming months for sure, from all sides, esp from
> Microsoft. I hadn't thought of the Mundie speech in that context, but look
> at my remarks, I'm a developer, and I liked what they said, at face-value.
> There you go. Good marketing.
>
> But I don't like the idea of getting locked in (to put it mildly), and I'm
> pretty sure that Microsoft's strategy, despite their protestations to the
> contrary, is about locking developers (and users) in.

You don't have to be able to detect it in what they say -- that simply
/has/ to be their strategy -- they have no choice unless they radically
restructure the way they do business and that'll only happen as the
result of gross external influence.

> I think the open source phenomenon and the move to Java by developers is a
> response to Microsoft's previous lock-in strategies. If one were to do a
> Mundie-speech-in-reverse, it would point out that in its 25 year history,
> Microsoft has only had a strategy without a significant lock-in component
> when they were coming from behind.
>
> Now it's time to see if the OSS community can emit a leader who can keep his
> wits about him and be dignified and not hiss too much (as Andrew Leonard
> exemplified) and hit the ball back over the net. Microsoft says that GPL is
> bad for free development, there is a good rebuttal -- so is Microsoft.

You've seen Linus' response? At

http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/05/03/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/torvalds.htm

Does it do anything for you?

--