Re: Deadly accurate article on the state of GNOME and its relationship to the FSF

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 05:42:08 PDT

KDE vs. GNOME has all the markings of Linux vs. HURD. I have a commercial
license for QT and have looked at QT and the other gui libraries quite a bit.
QT, and KDE, are the best gui, and really full platform abstraction, layers
I've seen. GNOME isn't nearly as clean. Just because FSF endorses GNOME (a la
HURD) doesn't mean that KDE (a la Linux) won't 'win'.

One thing that has bugged me is that no one has ported KDE to Win32, since QT
is cross-platform already.

Of course KDE does have a commercial behind it in Trolltech, but they have
wisely produced a fairly clean license situation that still brings them good
revenue from commercial use. I think they charge a bit too much for commercial
use, but I paid it. If they were more competitive they'd be a good catalyst
for commercial developers to switch to cross-platform development.

sdw

--
OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st