Re: [ reactions ] Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 17:00:24 PDT

I don't understand much of what you say. If open source is the superior way
to go then it will win in the market. I don't think Mundie said anything
that would contradict that.

He said some things that need to be said, like open source existed long
before Open Source™ did.

I decided to simply take it at face value, and decide if I agree or
disagree. As a commercial developer, I agree. I've said the same thing many
times, but somehow it didn't make the Gray Lady. As recently as last year
people gave me puzzled looks when I said I made software. "What's the
business model?" they asked. "We sell licenses." As if that were some kind
of new twist.

Here's the deal, we've been inundated by carpetbaggers. Even some people who
should have known better became carpetbaggers. Leaving the rest of us with a
mess to clean up.

Of course Markoff cast it as a battle. That's his job until he gets another
one. ;->

Dave