Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 15:49:13 PDT

Stephen D. Williams writes:
> The NY Times can't even get "GNU Public License" correct? Or is it MS
> that can't or won't?
>
> (They say 'General Public License' for 'G.P.L.'. How sloppy. There's
> only about 50 million copies of the actual license out there. I count
> at least 942 copies on my main Linux server.)
>
> This should get interesting and will likely, eventually, backfire on MS.

The copy of the 2.0 GNU GPL in /usr/doc/copyright/GPL on my Debian
machine is headed:
                    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
and continues
... the GNU General Public License is... This General Public License ...
Our General Public Licenses are ...
                    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
   TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION
The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new versions of
the General Public License from time to time... the GNU General Public
License... the GNU General Public License... the GNU General Public
License... the General Public License... This General Public
License...

In the text of the GPL itself, it refers to itself as "the GNU General
Public License" six times, as (the or this) "General Public License"
without the GNU five times, and

REFERS TO ITSELF AS "THE GNU PUBLIC LICENSE" EXACTLY ZERO TIMES.

It would seem you haven't READ any of those 942 copies of the license
you are flaming the NYT for not having read, and you seem to have
missed ALL of the 942 * 5 = 4710 places where IT REFERS TO ITSELF AS
THE GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE on your disk.

Furthermore, the FSF refers to the GPL on its web site as "the GNU GPL"
in many places. This would be redundant if the "G" in "GPL" stood for
"GNU".

Now apologize to the nice newspaper, sonny, and go to your room for the
night.

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]