announcing a new spam filter

From: Justin Mason (jm@jmason.org)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 05:08:37 PDT

Hi all --

after quite of while of thinking about it, I've finally rewritten the spam
filter I've been using for a while, and released it as free software.

It's called SpamAssassin, and it's a mail filter to identify spam using
text analysis. Using its rule base, it uses a wide range of heuristic
tests on mail headers and body text to identify spam, which it then tags
for later filtering using the user's own mail user-agent application.

The hit rate (given my spam load) is about 95% of spam is trapped, and the
false positive rate is below 0.5%.

The distribution provides a command line tool to perform filtering, along
with Mail::SpamAssassin, a set of perl modules which implement a
Mail::Audit plugin, allowing SpamAssassin to be used in a Mail::Audit
filter, or (possibly at some point) in a spam-protection proxy POP/IMAP
server or other server-based system.

WARNING: this is version 0.1. It Works For Me (tm), but anyone who
downloads it should ideally know what they're doing, perl-wise ;) It's not
up on CPAN yet either, so just download the tarball and install directly.

        http://spamassassin.taint.org/ for more details.

--j.