[ADMIN] another spam reduction idea

From: Joseph S Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 09:20:52 PDT

I was talking with Kragen on the phone yesterday about restricting
posts to FoRK to subscribed members, and he objected, saying that it
is good to allow outside members cc'd on threads to be able to comment
on the threads. One compromise solution we talked about was having
posts from non-members go to a moderator for approval. Of course, that
moderator would be receiving mostly spam, AND if the moderator were
off doing something, the messages would wait before showing up in the
thread.

I thought then of another idea, namely, posts from non-members with
the same subject line (or some permutation, e.g. a Re: or Fw: stuck
onto it, or whitespace) would go through automatically. That should
cover almost all the cases of non-members posting, and spam engines
are unlikely to generate subject lines that will match existing
threads (unless this spam avoidance technique becomes commonplace).

"What do you think, sirs?" [ in Joel's voice, see mst3k ]

- Joe

--
Joseph S. Barrera III
Software Architect, Kana Communications, Inc.

We know that: Logic is just a clever party trick. And that: Sense-making and efficiency is the object of machines. And that: Order is a simple game played with marbles by children. And that: Clarity is an enema for the time-deprived.

Thus we believe strongly that: Understanding is a sometime thing.