Re: Lisp, the secret weapon.

From: Ka-Ping Yee (ping@lfw.org)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 23:37:08 PDT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, James Hong wrote:
> Is lisp still taught in undergrad CS programs? I heard that at Berkeley,
> they switched the first CS class from using lisp to java.

We definitely still use it here. I helped teach the class last
semester; we used Scheme, and the whole course is built on the
various kinds of abstraction you can do only in LISP-like
languages (the whole course is basically the SICP book).

I imagine i would use LISP a lot more if i were familiar with a
solid, well-documented, and well-supported standard library of
routines and classes for doing common operations. I like the
language, but whenever i try to build something serious i end up
having to reimplement the wheel. Does such a distribution exist?

-- ?!ng