Re: [Fwd: chinese hackers]

From: B.K. DeLong (bkdelong@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 06:13:23 PDT

At 08:55 AM 04/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>To be fair, there are many other ways to crack a site other than simple
>defacements. Most hard-core crackers aren't interested in defacing a site
>or even compromising a web server. Most companies avoid reporting
>intrusions/server compromises making it difficult (if not impossible) to
>determine the extent of damage.

I wholeheartedly agree however the reports so far have on the whole
concentrated on Web site defacements while briefly touching on DDoS, virii
and the like. We used to have kids email us and tell us to NOT mirror a
particular site so they could keep "root" and on IRC (EFNet and UnderNet)
you can see kids logging in all the time from IRC bounces set up on .gov
servers, prominent .coms etc.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong@pobox.com