Re: A little test of your knowlege of the sendmail config parser

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 13:02:50 PDT

Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

> Also sprach Justin Mason:
> > aha ;)
> >
> > If I know sendmail, the answer is "everything goes horribly wrong in
> > unpredictable (and possibly un-logged) ways".
> >
> > To be precise, I'll bet that all the addresses after dot@dotat.at are
> > not included. I bet the trailing "," before the hash causes problems
> > too...
>
> Yes! You win!
>
> I've heard for years what a piece of shit sendmail is,
> but I've never had the pleasure of directly experiencing
> it until now.
>
> - Joe

Sendmail was cool 10 years ago when you had to glue uucp, smtp, bitnet,
fido, ccmail, and x.400 together (and I did all but fido), along with
'routed mail' (sdw%lig.net@gateway.com). It still may be the best tool
for those jobs; we just don't have to do that anymore, thankfully.

I was actually quoted in the press for saying that some military base
was stupid because they had publicly decided that everybodies email
address there would be: user%innermta.mil@base.mil instead of setting up
a proper gateway.

sdw

--