Disconnected use (was re: tool confusion)

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 12:42:02 PDT

Catching up on missed slashdot, apropos the tool confusion /
disconnection discussion yesterday:

     PapaZit asks: "Laptop and home users don't alway have access
     to a network. There are many tasks that can be done
     off-line, but require an occasional network connection
     (reading and responding to email, for example). In the Free
     Unix front, there has been some work in this direction, but
     it hasn't made it anywhere outside of Windows. Coda has made
     it possible for me to work with centralized files offline,
     and I have some ugly scripts involving perl, fetchmail, and
     procmail that handle email, but I wouldn't inflict them on
     others. An OS with automated "Network indifference" seems
     like it would be useful to both novice users and power
     users, and it's the sort of thing that could make these
     alternative operating systems more appealing to the masses.
     Are there any efforts in this direction that could use
     support or testers? Are people waiting until networking
     becomes so ubiquitous that the problem goes away?"

jb