Re: Welcome to 'tool' confusion

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 08:34:25 PDT

So here's a thought --- my disconnected-as-continuum vs. binary argument really
starts to become important if you look far enough out. Since we're looking to
physics to define the edge cases, think about c --- light speed defines a maximum
signal propagation velocity, hence latency ~ distance. We *might* be able to push
things out over the long haul so that every location on the planet essentially has as
much bandwidth as anyone wants --- actually, I don't believe this will happen, but
let's stipulate it for the sake of argument --- but any interplanetary or bigger
network is going to have a fuzzier notion of connected vs. disconnected.

$0.02,

jb