RE: Tivo, Fair Use, Video-in-the-Cloud, and Vidster

From: Jeffrey Kay (jkay@ENGENIA.COM)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 13:12:10 PDT

Gavin --

Just thought I'd give you a quick update. I've put in a BookPC with a PIII
800, 256 MB RAM, and 40 GB HD. I've got the WinTV device plugged in and
have been experimenting with the various DVR apps out there. I like
SnapStream the best, but frankly I can't get audio recorded with the video
using any of them. It appears to be a problem with the basic video filter
settings. I'm about 10 minutes from writing my own app to do the job.
DirectShow is pretty straightforward for doing that sort of stuff. TV
output is average, most likely because my TV seems to have too much visible
distortion, made apparent with the border that gets applied to the 800x600
output of the Book PC. So I'm not sure it could replace my regular DVD at
this point.

Do you have any DVR software that works with the WinTV device?

jeffrey kay <jkay@engenia.com>
chief technology officer, engenia software, inc.
"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark
twain
"golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle"
-- sports illustrated
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is
work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein