Re: Welcome to 'tool' confusion

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 12:52:11 PDT

Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:

> Jeff Bone:
> > What users desperately need is something which divorces their computing
> > environment / information from the specific platforms they use. The user
>
> I agree 100%. It's a nasty hard problem, though. You have to somehow

Lemme see, how do you divorce computing environment from the specific
platform? You either access remote content, or view it with an emulation
In all cases you need some piece of directly runnable software,
implementing the minimal functionality. Or, gosh, you just make your
context portable (as in haulable/luggable).

Gee, I already have that. It's ssh (PuTTY), or VNC, if you want to get
fancy. Both plucked off the net. There's even a VNC which comes with
a built-in Java applet, so you only need a Java-capable browser on
the other end, and a fairly fat pipe with all the right ports open.
The really long term solution though, is to build me a wearable
(I'm mostly waiting for the hud/hmd prices to get down, that's still
the price bottleneck), and wireless linkup to my home DSL box. That
way, I only need the space around me to provide wireless TCP/IP.
Lousy protocol that it is, it does what I want, and we seem to be
getting there, albeit sloooowwwwwwwlllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy.