RE: Eli and Brian Update [Fwd: [>Htech] "Friendly AI" released for commentary]

From: Tom WSMF (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 08:29:11 PDT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Jeff Barr wrote:

--]Given that all we have are binary copies, how are we going to fix the bugs?
--]
--]We don't know which bits are bloat, and which bits are code for features
--]that
--]have 'yet to be shipped'.

Or which bits are legacy gunk that is not used, but that can cause
problems if glitch happens in the codes execution and the legacy gunks
gets called. (cancer , a screwed up pointer to some gunky adress sapce?)

I agree that its all too complex to understand, now. Its also the case
that we are learning to make understandable debuggers for this stuff.

There was a story on NPR this morning about sciguys making new bacteria by
playing with the code in ways they were not seeing nature play with it.
Interesting.

      \ /
       X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
      / \ Against HTML Mail